Subscribe now for insights, opinion and advice to inspire you and your team on your digital journey.
The best way to get the most from technology is to develop a plan with aims and objectives on how technology can support and grow your business or organisation.
Why is a technology plan important for my business?
A technology plan is important for defining where your business' technology and infrastructure are at and where you want them to be in the future.
It's a plan that articulates what you want to get out of technology as well as indicating the key IT technology projects for the year or longer.
Steps to create a technology plan
Typically the steps involved include;
- Assessing your existing technology and engaging with staff, colleagues to hear about technology issues.
- Agreeing what your aims are for technology (maybe staff development, improved access, new services)
- Determining what your future needs are; this can be done as a brainstorming session. Consider things like;
- New software
- Existing software – updatesor customised to better met your needs
- Hardware – replacing obsolete, getting new
- Networking changes, wifi
- Cloud migration
- New technology
- Professional development –what skills will staff need to use new technology or make better use of existing technology (see section on how to develop an IT Training Plan)
- Policies and procedures –what should you have that you currently don’t e.g. BYOD, Acceptable Use, DR, teleworking, security
- Online presence –establishing, improving online marketing
- Security – improving backupsystems and other security measures
- Review processes - whatshould be reviewed, how often, what process should be followed
- Don’t forget to look at the relevant items on your plan developed through Digital Journey.
- Create a number of projects based on the future needs; tie these back to the aims for the year to prepare a draft Technology Plan.
- Prioritise your organisation's needs. Ensure you set clear and realistic dates to achieve your plan's projects.
To help you on your way
Here are a couple of links:
- This guide provides an overview oncreating a Technology Plan (or Roadmap) for a Small Business.
You can take the components you need from this document to develop your own plan, and of course cross-reference this to the plan developed through Digital Journey.